Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I’m Telling You, He’s My Husband

Yesterday was spent on pins and needles. I changed my screen name on MSN at least a dozen times in homage to my husband*, Jason Mraz. First came “Fighting tides of an ocean’s undertow”, then came “Unable to inhale all the riches”, and then there was my personal favourite “Which one of us will state the obvious.” They’re all snippets of lyrics from his songs. I was preparing, you see, to see him in concert for the third time – this time only a short forty minute opening set for Alanis Morrisette’s “Jagged Little Pill” acoustic tour.

A gang of six of us – mostly new recruits in my pursuit of Mraz – arrived at the Hummingbird Centre with no time to spare and fumbled our way to balcony seats in the dark while Jason and Toca hummed and beat away to his new single “Wordplay”. I like it. It’s a fun song, radio friendly, but it doesn’t blow my socks off. But I feel that way about the two singles off of “Waiting For My Rocket to Come” – they’re good for radio, but they’re not holy fuck I just lost my mind—great like “Unfold” can be, with Mraz’s voice soaring and peeling like bells, filling up all empty space in the auditorium, tangibly pulling the breath from the audience’s lungs, while he sings of the pull of tides and forces greater than ourselves moving through each other’s lives. I have worn through his live disc on that track because it opens my eyes wider each time I hear it. That voice is why I love my husband*.

Though the set was short, he did not disappoint. He pulled out a bit of new material off the disc due out at the end of next month and the two played back-to-back really struck me. One, a song of lamenting not being the pillar of strength or even of regret for a woman of boundless reserves. (Nice.) The second, and this one really hit strong, was a romping play on words about those first evenings of flirtation. It captures all those certain notes of confidence that set my bell a-ringing. It’s smart and funny and alludes to lots of different, ahem, talents. (Double nice.) And in it, Mraz refers to himself as “The Geek in the Pink”. So, if you know me, you know why this is funny. If you know me and you think I should be better than that, you’re probably disappointed that I was fanning myself by the end of the song. And if you don’t know me, well, just take my word for it: geek+pink=swoon!

No encores for Jason last night, but if it would have had any effect, I would have stood there all night begging for him to come back. Instead, I plunked my swooning self back down in my chair and sent out some text nonsense into nothingness from my phone. What can I say, Mraz has the same effect on me as champagne: itchy fingers on the dial pad.

Then it was onto the main event.

*In no way is he really my husband.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home