Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Welcome to Snubville. Population: You.

They're out, they're out, they're out! Oh, and the Adjudicator appropriately started the trash talking last night when he emailed the ballot of nominees to me. Yeah, like I hadn't already printed four copies of my own out already!

Notable Snubs:

Paul Giamatti for Best Actor in Sideways. Oh no, seriously. This guy was robbed. The film is a character driven drama, in which he drives all of the action and is far and away the most compelling character. And he plays it note for note perfectly. Everyone is saying that Eastwood stole his nomination, but I'm going to have to jump in here and say that Depp stole it this year. Because Eastwood was awesome. Of course, in general, Depp is awesome, but not so much as awesome this year in Neverland as he was last year while impersonating Keith Richards. (Hee.) I'm sorry, Paul. Maybe you can go over to Bill Murray's on Oscar night. I think he holds a party for these sorts of things.

Garden State for Original Screenplay. Yes, yes, it's a conversation film and they don't normally get nominations. That excuse might fly if they hadn't given Garden State's nomination away to Before Sunset, which is ENTIRELY a conversation film. Perhaps Zach Braff has to wait ten years and write a sequel and then they'll pay attention to him. I'm sorry Zach. If it helps, I still think you're very cute.

Tea Leoni for Best Supporting Actress in Spanglish. Come on folks. I understand that this category usually has more than enough performances to choose from, but Leoni was a sputtering, raving mess of a woman in this movie and she was just GREAT at it. I'm sorry Tea.

Hotel Rwanda for Best Picture. I know I haven't seen the film yet, but I'm going to assume that it holds a lot more weight than say, oh, Finding Neverland. I'll give you one guess as to which studio was behind Neverland. Yep, it's that evil genius Weinstein over at Miramax. Boo. I'm sorry Hotel Rwanda.

Things I'm not that upset about:

No nomination for Fahrenheit 9/11 in the Best Picture category. Like who did Michael Moore think he was kidding?

No nomination for Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I love you Jim Carrey. I think you are mad talented and Eternal Sunshine was just an awesome film. But if I have to be upset about someone not making the Best Actor cut this year, well, I think Paul Giamatti had you beat.

No nomination for House of Flying Daggers in Foreign Language Film. It's a pretty film, but that's about it. And there's no "Best Eye Candy" category. Well, there sort of is, in cinematography, and House got the nomination there. Deservedly.

Things that make me very, very happy:

Alan Alda's nomination for Best Supporting Actor in The Aviator. Way to go, Hawkeye!

Leo finally getting an Oscar nomination. Sweet. Dude can act. Say what you will about his bratty tendencies and his elite clique of friends and his leggy super-model girlfriend. Dude can act.

The Incredibles got a nod for Original Screenplay. Brad Bird = Genius. YAY!

Things I think are just plain weird:

Leo and Kate Winslet are each up in the Best Lead categories. Iceberg, right ahead!

Finding Neverland has the same number of nominations as Million Dollar Baby. Guess which one's going to get snubbed. Suck it, Miramax.

Bening vs. Swank, Round 2. Yeah, I think this one's getting over-blown.

Hilary Swank may get her second Best Actress Oscar. Can we all just pause and remember that this woman used to be on Beverly Hills: 90210? And in just over a month she may very well be in the same league as Katherine Hepburn and Meryl Streep? Now that's just weird.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Jamie Foxx is going to win, but for Paul G not to get a nomination? Puh-lease!

10:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home