Sunday, January 16, 2005

Take That Old Habits!

Friday night was a CD release party for “The Greater Good.” The lead singer is a friend of a friend’s best friend. Or, simpler, he is The Ex’s best friend. (Capital T, capital E. As opposed to The One We Don’t Speak Of, or The One Who Was Like Heroin, or The One I Suspect Was Gay. My repertoire ain’t that large.) TEbf is tall, lanky, perpetually morose and thinks he’s very clever. Sometimes he is. He has a sort of androgynous appeal, but it would benefit him to smile more often.

The opening act was called “Run With the Kittens.” Hee. Probably because that’s what the lead singer does in his spare time. The kid looked 12 – not a word of a lie. He looked like Davey Jones from the Monkees. But I can’t imagine Davey Jones having such a foul mouth. The kid was funny, wailing out songs like “Let’s Make Fuck!” with a lot of energy considering that he was hobbling around on crutches. (He said it was from an unfortunate face meets sidewalk incident.) While he’s singing I think “Wow, he’s kind of cute, in a kind of paedophilic way. Uh, ewww.” I think the band overplayed their set because Davey Jones just kept going and going until finally the rhythm guitarist just unplugged his guitar at the end of a song and took the mic away from Davey. I laughed: it seemed like a schtick. Overall, very entertaining. I don’t know if I enjoyed the music, so much as I laughed the whole way through it.

Meanwhile, TEbf is pacing around the back of the room, waiting for his moment. He was wearing a striped wool sweater to keep warm. It looked like David Bowie was trapped in a Weezer video. The time arrived and he doffed the Cosby sweater to reveal a ruffled dress shirt. A starker contrast between him and Davey Jones, I cannot imagine. He’s up there on stage, with his non-melodic words dripping with importance. TEbf doesn’t sing for the pleasure of the song. He sings as if he feels it necessary to convey to the world just what weighty things he is going through. There’s nothing wrong with this and there’s certainly a market for it. I just don’t know if it’s the best product placement after the comedic stylings of a band that ended their set with a medley that included “The Theme From Ghostbusters” and “The Phantom of the Opera” – rock-stylin’. I left before the end of TEbf’s set. Sorry dude.

During TEbf’s set, The Ex and my friend E____ are talking about the music together, because they are already familiar with it. TEbf starts singing track 7 from his new CD, and the two at the table start a philosophic discussion about how track 7 is always the best track on a CD, throwing out examples left and right. I pipe up with a disagreement. “It’s track 6 that’s always the best.” (Sarah Mclachlan, Surfacing, Witness. R.E.M., Automatic for the People, Sweetness Follows. Peter Gabriel, So, Mercy Street.) The Ex smiles at me knowingly and says, “Yeah, that’s right, you were all about the sixes.” And then he leans over and tries to put his hand on my thigh. And I bat it away. Ha! Take that old habits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home