Monday, March 07, 2005

My Torontiversary

A year has passed since I pulled most of my belongings out of the mothballs of Mr. Grumpy-pants basement, packed them hurriedly, and moved my newly employed keister to the big city. And so, to celebrate, I would like to present a retrospective of my life in Toronto.

March 2004: In which I moved into the third floor and began my new job. The skyscrapers seemed so TALL, and I felt so filled with potential. I decorated my new workspace with a coaster that reads “The Crisis of Today is the Joke of Tomorrow,” and a fake voodoo doll with pins in it. (It’s a conversation piece.) I began riding the TTC every morning. New beginnings are good.

April 2004: In which my friends from Japan officially broke up, altering forever the rest of the year. The snow melted and it began to smell like spring. And I made friends at work. It didn’t take long for the place to feel like home.

May 2004: In which the Leafs did not win the Stanley Cup. But neither did the Flames. YAY! Eat it, Calgary! I found a yoga studio near work and bowed to the god of urban living. And Friends came to an end, but Sammy got in the best quote of the year. “What do you need Friends for? Your whole life is like an episode of Friends – commercial free!”

June 2004: In which I got food poisoning from mussels and threw up all over myself on the street in broad daylight. Not worth repeating.

July 2004: In which an old habit didn’t quite die hard. In which I began playing with fire. In which I decided to refer to everything cryptically… The Voice of Reason left Montreal for Toronto. And Toronto offered me fireworks at Ontario Place on Canada day and discount tickets to the musical Hairspray.

August 2004: In which my new roommate arrived from Australia, kicking off a three-month long non-stop party. And the crazy lady from downstairs moved out and made us sort through her old knickers that got dumped all over our lawn. Long story. Shudder. And Mr. Grumpy-pants announced that he and the missus were expecting.

September 2004: In which the roomie and I snagged an invitation up to the Baron’s cottage and generally made asses of ourselves. This weighs in as the best weekend getaway of the year. Also another roommate moved in and we collectively took over the second and third floor. Painting the living room was HARD WORK.

October 2004: In which I got kicked out of the bar on Halloween. Because I am dumb. Incidentally, not because I was rowdy or overly intoxicated. Just because I am dumb.

November 2004: In which it got cold. Very, very cold. In both the physical and metaphysical sense. So I began to hibernate. In which Toronto offered me speed-dating, and a discount shopping experience at Roots. (I bought something for Li’l Grumpy.)

December 2004: In which Christmas didn’t quite go as planned. And in which I decided to get a puppy, because it will give me lots more comedy material! I live out the rest of the months of 2005 knowing that my freedoms are about to be severely limited by the pee-schedule of my future shi-tzu. Adulthood, here I come.

January 2005: In which I turned 28. And my co-worker left for paternity leave. I miss him. And roommie announced impending departure. And the Voice of Reason agreed to replace her. So soon we’ll be kicking it, old-school-475-style! And somewhere in there I think I started a blog.

February 2005: In which my nephew, Li’l Grumpy was born completely perfect in every way. Also, in which I beat The Adjudicator at the annual Oscar bet, and won a year’s worth of bragging rights and an evening at the Shaw or Stratford Festival.

Overall, a great year that leaves me looking forward to the next one. A new nephew, a new set of roommates and a new puppy await me this year. That seems like plenty already to wax about. Spring is temporarily in the air today, and there’s something very fitting about that.

1 Comments:

Blogger PrincessDoubt said...

October 2004 - I'm guessing that makes me Dumber. :)

1:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home